Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Quick Hits

New Pearl Jam material available through iTunes today! I totally forgot that today was the day until I happened to check out the iTunes store today. Check out "Worldwide Suicide", the first single from Pearl Jam, their eighth studio album. The B-side, "Unemployable" is also available. Pearl Jam is my favorite band, so I'm pumped for the new disc. I have to say that "Worldwide Suicide" is pretty catchy and way better than the short snippet of the song they released a while back.

David Ortiz is in midseason form. It's March 14th. The man is amazing. He gets better every year. I said that he was in midseason form last year on opening day when he roped a double off of Randy Johnson, a tough lefty. Yesterday he hit a homerun against Cuba that LEFT THE STADIUM. Yes, it cleared everything. The Sox definitely got it right with Ortiz. They fixed the hole in his swing and made him a monster.

Francona got a two-year extension today. I'm happy for him, but I still think that he's Grady Little 2, Electric Boogaloo. Francona is a terrible in-game manager and lets the players call the shots. I'm betting that Kevin Youkilis gets about 300 ABs this year tops. Francona is bound to give J.T. Snow waaaaaay too much playing time. He'll probably bat Snow 5th, too, just so he can steal RBIs from Tek and Nixon even though Snow will probably hit .230. Last year I'm convinced that Francona cost Varitek at least 20 RBI in April and May by letting Millar bat 5th. Millar ended numerous innings with runners on base with a pop-up and Varitek proceeded to get a basehit to start the next inning.

Clement looks good this spring. Yes, it's only Spring Training, but a good sign, nonetheless. I hope that he has a big year as the No. 4 or 5 starter. Last year the Sox asked too much of him with Schilling's injury. He also claims he lost stamina by the end of the year and that the line drive he took off his noggin didn't affect him. If he plays well this year, he could be a quiet 15-18 game winner. If he doesn't play well, dump his ass for a prospect or two.

Arroyo looks awful this spring. Yes, it's only Spring Training, but a bad sign, nonetheless. I expect big things from Arroyo as he has shown progress year-to-year as a pitcher. I hope he gets it figured out soon. At least he is making the decision to put him in the pen to start the year for Francona at this point.

I agree with Schilling that Papelbon needs to be a starter. Whether he's the next Clemens or not, Papelbon is an innings eater. If Foulke doesn't work out this year, and believe me, his leash should be the shortest on the team (FRANCONA ARE YOU LISTENING?!!!), I think that the Sox need to look at Hansen or Riske or maybe even Cla Meredith as the closer. I don't think that Hansen is far away from being with the big club.

I can't wait to see Lester pitch for the Sox. If nothing else, I hope he gets to pitch in September in Boston. The Sox are loaded with more young arms than I can ever remember. Hopefully that bodes well for continued success for years to come.

I'm cuckoo for Coco Crisp. By some measures he was the best defensive left fielder in baseball next year. I think he's definitely primed to surpass Johnny Damon this year and every year going forward, but he also gives the Sox additional flexibility if the Manny being Manny headache crops up again.

Have I mentioned NEW PEARL JAM MUSIC TODAY?!!!...

No comments: