Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Ba da ba ba baaa... I'm lovin' it

Finally the world is admitting what many of us knew for years now. Barry Bonds is a steroid freak. The current issue of Sports Illustrated contains a lengthy excerpt from a novel, "Game of Shadows", which is to be published later this month. The book details Bonds many transgressions and his obsession with setting the home run record.

I'm giddy with delight. I hate Barry Bonds. I've always despised him for being a surly asshole who thinks his shit don't stink.

I grew up a fan of Mark McGwire. I used to have a framed picture of McGwire, a bunch of his baseball cards, and an A's hat. I want to believe that McGwire only used steroid precursors and not actual steroids. I do believe that he stopped taking many supplements, such as Andro, as they were added to baseball's banned substances list. McGwire is a nice and likeable guy. He's friendly and amicable and by all accounts a gentleman and a good dad. I was excited for him when he set the single season home run record in 1998. He and Sosa were good for baseball as they played the role post-strike ambassadors of good will.

It turns out the attention given to McGwire (and a lesser extent to Sosa) was what drove Bonds to 'roids. Barry is a racist. He hated that baseball celebrated a white player while he had a terrific season in 1998 (.303 average, 37 homers) and went unnoticed. He thought that "they" wouldn't allow Sosa to set the record, whoever "they" are.

Barry started doing every performance enhancer under the sun. He used multiple types of steroids, insulin, the "clear", the "cream", human-growth-hormone (HGH), and more. I thought that the freakishly enlarged jawline was clear evidence that he was doing HGH years ago.

I hated that many members of the national media refused to call Bonds out on the steroid issue. Writers like Tim Kurkijan have written many columns indicating that players like Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro would still get their votes for the Hall of Fame. Now Kurkijan has finally woken-the-Hell-up. I thought Kurkijan was an idiot for believing the players' lies, but at least he has finally seen the light.

I'm actually thinking of reading the book. The excerpt from SI was entertaining. I recommend that you check it out.

I hope that Barry is kicked out of baseball by Bud Selig even though I know it will never happen. Barry might be a steroid user, but his testes are still bigger than Selig's.

No comments: