Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Anything but classic

Alright, I'm back from the dead. I was on vacation in Florida two weeks ago and I had an intestinal virus last week. I had taken one sick day in nearly three years prior to last week. Last week I missed four days. I'm starting to feel better and back to blogging...

So the "World Baseball Classic" has started much to Bud Selig's delight. I have to rank my feelings on the subject just above the Olympics - I don't really care, but at least it's baseball. I personally think that Bud screwed this one up. The WBC could really be a classic event like the World Cup is to soccer. However, thanks to Selig the WBC is going to be a dud. It's spring training with all-star teams. As Shakespeare once said, "Spring training by any other name would smell as sweet."

The WBC should be held either in the middle of the season or after the World Series. Either way the players are in top condition. I don't understand how Venezuela's best effort in the WBC is three innings from Johan Santana. Give me 8 innings and I'm a believer.

In the current format the WBC is nothing more than a cheap attempt at birthing a cash cow. Maybe Selig thinks that people from other countries will shell out money to buy the horrendous uniforms and gear, or worse yet, to see the games. I don't expect many from this country to do so.

Two side notes, big props to Big Papi for homering off Santana today leading the DR to a win and the WBC website crashed five times on me when I tried to confirm the spelling of "Venezuela" and "Santana". Nice job, Bud. Nice job.

No comments: