Friday, March 10, 2006

Must see TV


Although not entirely technology related, I thought I would give insight into my favorite TV shows. I decided to do the breakdown by night.


Monday

Prison Break - I was intrigued by the concept and I really like the complexity of the plan. Michael has had to orchestrate some nifty moves in order for things to go nearly as planned. I'm anxious to see how how they manage to escape now that the original plan has failed.

How I Met Your Mother - I only started watching this show recently, but it's pretty funny. Neil Patrick Harris is a scene stealer. The show is like a better version of "Friends".

Tuesday

Supernatural - I've seen about 6 episodes and I enjoy the show. It's sort of an "X-Files" spin, but stays true to the doctrine of vampire, werewolf, and ghost stories. Unfortunately this show is moving to 9 PM on Thursdays, which is the kiss of death. I already record "CSI" and "My Name Is Earl"/"The Office" on Thursdays from 9 to 10 PM. Now I will have to miss out.

Wednesday

Lost - One of the best shows on television. My brother bought me the 1st season on DVD for my birthday last fall and I've been hooked ever since. It's full of intrigue and looks awesome in HD. Like a junkie needing a fix, I scan the viewing guide anxiously seeking the next new episode air dates.

Bones - I like the different characters on this show. It's a good, but not great show. It's definitely worth trying in order to see if you like it.

Thursday

Smallville - This has been my favorite show for a couple of years. I love the retelling of a young Superman. This show adds a human element to Clark's development and realization of skills and responsibilities. Sometimes it's the "Kryptonite freak of the week", but the longer story arcs are worth it.

My Name Is Earl - The funniest show on TV. Or maybe 1A with "The Office". I've always been a Jason Lee fan and I'm happy to see him shine in prime time. This show just keeps getting better as it begins to hit its stride. They also like to throw in HD Easter eggs, which are always cool.

The Office - See above. Just a riotous half-hour. "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and a friend's recommendation led me to give this show a second chance this year. I'm glad that I did. This show and "Earl" should be the weekly office-cooler talk.

CSI - Still enjoy a good episode of CSI after 5 years on the air. One thing that it has going for it is a continuous cast. None of the major players have left, although Nick and Sara almost left/got fired last year. The season 5 finale, a two-parter directed by Quentin Tarantino, in which Nick gets buried alive was the best 2 hours of drama on TV last year.

Friday

Ghost Whisperer - A bit formulaic, but sort of a guilty-pleasure show. It's usually good for at least a misting if not an all-out cry.

Saturday

Nothing worth watching. Go out and get a life, you loser!

Sunday

Family Guy - What "The Simpsons" was 15 years ago. No target is safe from insult in this show.

Other Shows

Here are a few other shows that I watch somewhat regularly and recommend.

The Simpsons - Sadly, I've finally had enough of "The Simpsons". I watch them occasionally when I run across an airing.

CSI: Miami - A gorgeous show, especially in HD, and good for a CSI-fix when you need one.

House - Another show that has become a bit formulaic, but Gregory House is one of the best characters on television, right up there with Earl Hickey.

NUMB3RS - Not a bad show, but I don't enjoy it enough to make a significant effort to see it. What's with the "7eet" name anyway? (On a side note, go rent "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" if you haven't already seen it. You'll think differently about the math genius on "Numbers".)

America's Next Top Model - I tend to watch the reruns when VH1 has marathons.

Still Standing - I enjoy this show when I happen to catch it, but again, I won't go out of my way to view it. I like the dad.

Sons and Daughters - I'm on the fence right now with this new show, but I'm sort of hoping that it works out for the better. This could be the quirky comedy that satiates the "Arrested Development" pangs you're suffering.

If you haven't read my post on DVR/Tivo service ("I'm not an addict"), give it a look. Then when you get DVR service it will help you watch the shows above and find some new favorites.

No comments: