Tuesday, April 22, 2008

2008 NFL Mock Draft

Loyal reader(s) your tremendous patience has been rewarded! My 2008 NFL Mock Draft is finally here!

Enjoy.

1. Miami - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
4. Oakland - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
5. Kansas City - Branden Albert, OG/OT, Virginia
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
7. New England - *trade with Carolina* - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
8. Baltimore - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
9. Cincinnati - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
10. New Orleans - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
11. Buffalo - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
12. Denver - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
13. Carolina - *trade with New England* - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
14. Chicago - Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
15. Detroit - Keith Rivers, LB, USC
16. Arizona - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
17. *Kansas City* - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
18. Houston - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
19. Philadelphia - James Hardy, WR, Indiana
20. Tampa Bay - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
21. Washington - Quentin Groves, OLB/DE, Auburn
22. Dallas - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
23. Pittsburgh - Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
24. Tennessee - DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
25. Seattle - Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
26. Jacksonville - Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
27. San Diego - Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
28. Dallas - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
29. San Francisco - Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
30. Green Bay - Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
31. New York They Got Lucky Giants - Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami


Comments:

  • I do think the Pats trade down. Unless they are shocked to see Chris Long or perhaps Darren McFadden fall, I don't see New England standing pat. They could trade down with Cincinnati, New Orleans, Carolina, or Detroit. Getting LB Adam Seward from Carolina as part of a deal would be nice.
  • I do think if Dorsey is selected 2nd, Atlanta will take Matt Ryan. The draft will be much more exciting if he falls. The Jets and Pats would have all kinds of trade partners if Ryan falls.
  • I think McKelvin will be the first of the big four corners to be drafted. I think Talib falls to last of the four but stays in the first round.
  • I don't think Detroit selects Mendenhall as seems to be the general consensus right now.
  • I think Dallas takes a corner at 22, not Felix Jones. Again, I'm going against the overwhelming opinion here. In my scenario Dallas would have to try for Jonathan Stewart, Chris Johnson, or Jamaal Charles in round two.
  • I think Malcolm Kelly is the best WR in the draft and will be a steal for Seattle. I do think he stays in the first round.
  • I don't think teams will trade aggressively into the back end of the first round to select the second tier QBs. I could see one team trading into the 28-31 range for Joe Flacco if that team is convinced he won't be available in round two. I just don't think the movement will be as heavy as predicted.
  • I deviated from the final (fourth?) revision of my mock draft, which always starts on paper, as I was typing. I switched Houston's and Tampa Bay's selections.

Edit: I changed #17 to KC now that Jared Allen has been traded to Minnesota. I think the pick is the same whether it's Minny or KC selecting.

No comments: