Friday, November 09, 2007

2007 World Series Champions

It's been over two months since I last posted. I don't know if anyone is even checking this small corner of the Internet anymore. I really wish that I had been better about keeping a regular blog schedule. I enjoy the creative writing. I never did any creative writing in school until I had an English course in college. I think that I'm a pretty good writer when I have a decent idea and the motivation to write. I haven't given up hope for this blog just yet, I simply needed to live life and wait to find the opportunity to write more. Now back to the nitty gritty.

The Red Sox won the World Series. Again.

Can you believe it?

For some reason I'm still soaking in the World Series victory. I think of it on occasion and find myself pleasantly surprised and happy. In 2004 the World Series was an epiphany, a moment of total emotional release. It was real and complete in a single instant. For some reason the current championship has a more dream-like feel to it. Maybe it's the occasional long hours at work during the playoffs and the long nights watching baseball.

The team that I live and bleed for won a second title in four years. 2004 meant redemption for the fans. I felt simply validated as a fan, as a human being; all the pain and suffering had been worth that one moment. Since 2004 I have felt differently about the Red Sox. I still live and bleed Red Sox. They just didn't need to win it all for my life to have meaning. I still watch every playoff game with a nervous energy and my own stupid rituals and superstitions. I still celebrate every key base hit, defensive play, and strikeout.

Hell, I went to game two of the division series this year with my dad. I had the opportunity to buy tickets through the second chance lottery. I got two obstructed view tickets in right field, one in front of the other. The view was great but the tunnel to the concourse was just to our left and fans were constantly streaming by us. I think no fewer than three different people spilled beer on my dad. By the time Manny hit a ridiculous walk-off homerun it didn't matter. We were there for that moment. We had a natural high that took more than a week to come down from. We arrived at my home at 3 AM and he crashed in the guest room for the night. We had such a natural buzz going the next morning.

The fact that the Sox went the distance made that particular game a part of history. We went to a game that was won in memorable fashion during a World Series title run. My dad bought me a picture of the two of us at the game and Jerry Remy's scorecard for the game for my birthday. I think that was an awesome idea.

I already have one championship t-shirt and one AL championship t-shirt. I plan to buy another championship t-shirt. I may still buy the special hard-bound "Sports Illustrated". I may not. I bought the special SI after the Patriots first Super Bowl victory. I didn't buy the subsequent issues nor did I buy the subsequent t-shirts.

Imagine living at the poverty line for most of your life. Then you hit the lottery. If you won the lottery again a few years later, would it feel the same as the first time you won?

All I know is that now is a GREAT time to be a Boston-area sports fan.

No comments: