Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Comeback Kid(s)

Wow. What a change of emotions for me tonight.

I worked late and got home around 8:30 PM. I left work with sinus pressure and a slight headache. I was hoping it would improve on the drive home. Unfortunately, I was nearing a migraine by the time I got home. I took some medication and my sinus spray. I was feeling down about getting a headache and the Sox approaching a tough 1-0 loss to the Devil Rays.

I took more medication a little later and started to feel just a little better. I decided to walk to Dunkin' Donuts and get a small ice coffee. When I got home the Sox had escaped a bases-loaded jam thanks to Mike Timlin. Eric "gag me with a spoon" Gagne had just entered the game. Surprisingly, Sir Chokes-a-Lot only allowed one hit and struck out the side.

My head was starting to clear and the ice coffee was helping. Ever an optimist, I liked the Sox chances in the bottom of the 9th.

After Mike Lowell tied the game on a solo homerun I was feeling really optimistic. (He should have won the game on a two-run homer, but that's a different story.)

I decided that Jason Varitek needed some inspirational music. I started up "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" on the laptop. It worked. Tek lined a ground rule double to right field. Now I decided on "Heat of the Moment" for Coco Crisp. It also worked. Sox win 2-1. My head feels fine.

I was elated. My head didn't hurt. The Sox came from behind to win 2-1. My inspirational music selections were 2-for-2. Oh, yeah, the Yankees are getting destroyed 12-0 at home.

It was a great feeling to see the comeback kids pull one out this year. The team hasn't had the same magic so far this year that they've possessed the last three years. I hope they are able to hold onto it.

Speaking of comeback kids, Jon Lester pitched a great game tonight. It's a great feeling seeing him pitch this year after beating cancer. Tonight was his best start of the season. I hope that it portends a strong finish for him. He's a strong person and continues to become a stronger pitcher.

No comments: