Sunday, February 18, 2007

Man-Crush is in the Air

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Spring Training has arrived. Every baseball fan's hope springs eternal. World Series dreams gleam in their eyes. Some are even lucky enough to be in love.

I'm one of them. Okay, so it's a man-crush not actually love. I've had a void to fill ever since Petey joined the Mets. Not wanting to metaphorically find someone else to bed with before the sheets cool down, I’ve been waiting for the right Sox player to come along. Honestly, I can't say who my favorite Sox player was in 2005 or 2006. I’ve had fleeting moments in which I’ve pulled for Papelbon or Hansen to fill my psychological needs. No player has been able to completely do so until now. I have finally found a replacement for my lonely heart.

Daisuke Matsuzaka, I think I man-crush you.

I started visiting the "Matsuzak Watch" blog before the winner of his posted rights was announced. I was intrigued by his potential and mystique. I hoped the Sox would win his rights as he was considered the best pitcher available this off-season.

When the Sox won the right to negotiate with Matsuzaka I began reading more about him. I couldn't get enough. He's been in the spotlight since high school, where he threw a 17-inning, 250-pitch complete game in the Koshien. The more I read the more I saw his dominance and confidence. He actually began to remind me of a certain former Sox ace.

I’ve seen the videos (thanks, Youtube), read the stories, factual (Koshien dominance) and false (he throws the mysterious “gyroball”), and now I’m soaking up the Spring Training coverage. I’ve been watching his press conferences, painful as they may be, and checking out the pictures from Fort Meyers.

Last week I won two Matsuzaka-related EBay auctions. The first was for a Nippon Baseball rookie card. The second was for this sweet t-shirt. I’ve been trying to obtain one of the Nike Seibu Lions jerseys since the Sox won his posted rights. Unfortunately they don’t seem to be available, even in Japan. Now I need to find one of the good Seibu Lions baseball caps.

Daisuke has the swagger, confidence, charisma, and skill to be an ace in Major League Baseball. I’m pulling for him. I’ll be sure to watch every fifth Sox game with renewed zeal this season. Having digested the stats, I’m a true believer that Matsuzaka will be successful from the get-go.

If he isn’t, maybe Varitek will satisfy my cheating heart.

No comments: